through His Word
1 John Ch. 5 Believing in Jesus and being “in Him,” is having eternal life.
v.1-3 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ, is born of God, loves God, and loves God’s children.
v.4-5 He who believes that Jesus is the Son of God is not ruled by worldly values and passions, but by faith.
v.6-10 Sufficient witness is given that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that we should believe it.
(Some of the witnesses are: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Jesus’s baptism and the surrounding events, and Jesus’s death on the cross and the surrounding events.)
v.11-13 This is the testimony that God wants us to believe and be assured by: Eternal life is in God’s Son, and if we have Him by faith, then we have eternal life.
v.14-15 Believers can have the confidence in God, that whatever we ask according to His will, He will give us.
v.16-17 Ask God to lead your brother who is overtaken in sin, to repentance, that he may be forgiven.
v.18-20 The whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one, but we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ—this is true God and eternal life.
v.21 Let nothing take God’s place in your heart and life.
More Application for v.18-20 – Victory over Sin and Satan:
1. Those who are born of God don’t keep sinning as a way of life, but they confess their sins and cooperate with God to minimize sin in their lives.
2. The wicked one’s goal is to entice them to maximize sin in their lives, but his work is stopped by their confession of sin and cooperation with God—the wicked one doesn’t “touch” them.
3. His evil work is stopped by their choosing God over sin, and their dependence on God to be able to live out that choice.
4. This is a difference in those of God and those of the world, because those of the world lie under the influence and power of the wicked one, but those of God are able to resist the wicked one with His help.
5. The Son of God has come and given us a true knowledge of His Father, and by faith in the Son, we know God and possess eternal life.
6. In Him who is true, we are safe.
Copyright © 2015 by Beebe Kauffmanbelieve in Jesus, faith, eternal life, born of God, true God, the wicked one, Satan, 1 John, 1 John Chapter 5, Jesus, Christ, God, Bible, application of the Bible, the word of God, Beebe Kauffman, Lighthouse Bible Studies, women's Bible studies, quiet time, teaching outlines of the Bible