through His Word
In this final excerpt from my Bible study, 2 Timothy: Winning the Victory, I want to share with you the go-get’-em, no-holds-barred, let’s-overcome-the-obstacles-and-do-what-God-has-for-us passage. This paragraph comes from the final chapter, and compares our spiritual enemies, who may seem overwhelmingly strong at times, to our God who has almighty power.
“No matter how fierce the enemy seems—when fear cripples us, anger enrages us, or selfishness possesses us; when adversity crushes us, opposition hounds us, or temptation plagues us—God is greater. In our own strength, we may be no match for the spiritual forces fighting against us, but those forces are overwhelmingly feeble compared to God’s awesome power and might. We don’t have to give in. In Christ ‘we are more than conquerors’ (Rom 8:37). When we operate ‘in Christ’—abiding in Him, following Him, and trusting Him—we ‘gain a surpassing victory’1 because we’re depending on the One who loves us perfectly and holds us in His hand. ‘Victory at all costs … however long and hard the road may be’2—this is what’s possible for us. In Christ, we win. We survive. We excel.”
- 2 Timothy: Winning the Victory, Day 39 Days of Opportunity, p.198
Our Lord Jesus Christ is greater than any enemy trying to overcome us. He is all-powerful so He can rescue us from whatever plagues us, and He is all-loving so He wants to. Consider these verses that identify the battle plan of dealing with our spiritual enemies.* Compared to God, they don’t stand a chance.
- Fear – Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
- Anger – Colossians 3:8, 12-14 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. … Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.
- Selfishness – Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
- Adversity – 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
- Opposition – Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
- Temptation – 1 Corinthains 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
- Satan – James 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
This is our God – a Rock and a refuge (Isaiah 44:8; Ps 94:22, 71:3) and a heavenly Father who takes care of His children (Matt 6:31-33, 7:11; Hosea 11:1, 3-4; Isa 1:2a; John 15:16b). God doesn’t leave His children helpless. He trains us to fight our spiritual enemies and to fight for the ones we love (Eph 6:12-13; Ps 18:34, 39; Josh 1:14-15; Neh 4:14).
Whatever spiritual enemy you face, God is greater and stronger. He will show you the strategy for victory and enable you to win your battle as you look to Him and depend on Him for help. Our Champion fights for us and trains us to be spiritual warriors, to be overcomers who point people to our great God and the wondrous works He does for those who love Him. Don’t give up the fight. Remember, God is greater.
1 Pierce, Romans 8:37. The Online Bible. CD-ROM. Winterbourne, Ontario: Larry Pierce, 2007.
2 Winston Churchill, “Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat,” The Churchill Centre and Museum at the Churchill War Rooms, London, last modified October 8, 2012, accessed November 3, 2012, http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/speeches/quotations/.
*All Scripture is NKJV. Copyright © 1979, 1980,1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
This devotion is © Copyright 2014 by Katy Kauffman