through His Word
Katy Kauffman is a co-founder of Lighthouse Bible Studies. She is also an editor for Refresh Bible Study Magazine and its designer. She graduated from Luther Rice Seminary with a BA in Religion (2004). Her heart’s desire is for people to know and love God, understand the richness of His Word, and fulfill His plan for their lives. She makes her home in a cozy suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, and attends a church close by.
Her ministry experience includes:
- teaching the Bible to women, college-aged women, and youth girls
- seven international mission trips to Brazil and Ukraine, and one World Changers project in the U.S.
- evangelism training (Evangelism Explosion) and church visitation
- working in vacation Bible schools locally and overseas
- teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) to adults at 2 churches for 7 years
Katy has seen in her ministry experiences at home and abroad that every person has the same need for God and His Word, and the same desire to be loved. She teaches and writes to enrich women’s understanding of Scripture and to inspire them to experience the life God has for them. She wants to help women:
- to know God on a personal level and love Him more each day
- to flourish in God’s love, walk in His joy, and rest in His peace
- to overcome the obstacles of the Christian life and live victoriously
- to be strong warriors, enduring runners, and faithful servants of God (2 Timothy 4:7)
Katy enjoys scrapbooking, making jewelry, and spending time with family and friends.
Favorite Bible Verses
Psalm 107:9 “For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness.” (NKJV)
Deuteronomy 33:26 “There is none like the God of Jerusalem, he descends from the heavens in majestic splendor to help you.”
(A favorite from childhood from The Children’s Living Bible)
About Her Books
You will find in 2 Timothy: Winning the Victory:
- a Bible study about how to win the spiritual battles of life and ministry
- 40 devotions that take about 5 to 10 minutes each to read and answer the questions
- an emphasis on understanding Scripture and applying it to life today
- over 275 principles of how to fight life’s battles and win
- a Leader Guide for an 8-week group study
Click here to read the full description and reviews.
You will find in Faith, Courage, and Victory:
- a Bible study about 24 characters of the Bible from Abraham, the father of the faith, to Paul, the great contender for the faith
- 40 devotions that take about 5 to 10 minutes each to read and answer the questions
- insights into many of the beloved stories of the Bible, and principles for everyday life
- devotions that give at least one major "take-away" principle or point of application for life today
- a Leader Guide for a nine-week group study
Click here to read the full description.
"Credibility. Content. Clarity. Katy Kauffman demonstrates all three with her pen as she writes to an audience that will be introduced to practical, biblical prose. She is able to 'rightly divide the Word of God' in a unique and relevant manner. Katy intertwines insightful illustrations, along with thought-provoking self-help questions that generate reader involvement and retention. Her writings are food for the mind and a blessing for the soul."
- Dr. Dennis Dieringer, Assistant to the President, Luther Rice College & Seminary
"I'm glad to recommend Katy Kauffman to you as an excellent writer, speaker, and publisher. Christian Authors Guild of Woodstock, GA, was pleased to have her as a special speaker at their annual Coffee and Quill mini conference and at one of their regular meetings where she hit one home run after another. Besides being a great Bible study teacher, she is quickly becoming known as an adept instructor to those who are learning the craft of writing.
You will be blessed and encouraged by her award-winning book, 2 Timothy: Winning the Victory, How to Win the Spiritual Battles of Life and Ministry. In every chapter Katy pulls out golden nuggets of truth to encourage, refresh, and invigorate us in the daily race of life. True to the Word of God as a writer, the author has you come away from the read feeling as if you've discovered a cache worth its weight in gold. It's packed full of principles to help you reach your goal and experience ongoing victory. "
- Margot Kennedy, Vice President, Christian Authors Guild
"God's love, light, and wisdom saturate everything Katy Kauffman writes, from blog posts to Bible studies. She has a gift for bringing fresh revelation to the Bible stories and lessons I've heard since my childhood Sunday School years. One way she accomplishes this is through her use of personal antidotes. This helps me to connect with the truths rather than feel as though I'm being overly preached at. Kauffman's writing style is creative and engaging; her use of sensory details breathes life into her illustrations, which helps me to delve even deeper into the studies. I recommend her writing to anyone who is searching for a Bible study filled with Biblical gems and applications that will enable you to -- as Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 9:24 (NIV) -- '...run in such a way as to get the prize.'"
- Tessa Emily Hall, YA author of Selah-Award Finalist, Purple Moon
Katy's Blog: Life with God
Katy's Facebook Page: Katy Kauffman, Author
Quiet Time Tips for young women, at PursueMagazine.net
An Interview with Alton Gansky, former director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference
An interview with author and speaker Cynthia Simmons for Heart of the Matter Radio
A video interview with Bethany Jett for the 2017 Florida Christian Writers Conference
An Interview with Erin Elizabeth Austin, Founder and CEO of Broken but Pricless Ministries
An Interview with Heather Caudill on her blog, From a Mess to a Beautiful Mess, about finding your fulfilling purpose
An Interview with Cyle Young on Almost an Author
Katy's Posts as a Guest Blogger
- Everything We Need (for Broken but Pricless Ministries)
- Our Strength Renew-er (for Christ is Write)
- How to Stay Grounded for Life (for My Life. His Story. Tales of God's Glorious Kingdom.)
- Life is a Battle: Arm Yourself (for Christ is Write)
- A Changed Perspective: Seeing Beauty in Brokenness (for Broken but Priceless Ministries)
- My Quiet Place through the Holidays (for My Life. His Story. Tales of God's Glorious Kingdom.)
- Katy's Favorite: Psalm 107:9 (for Sherry's Light Blog)
- Don't Let the Enemy Claim Any Ground in Your Life (for Broken but Priceless Ministries)
- Stay Close (for Mapping the Path to the Abundant Life)
- Refresh: A New Magazine and an Opportunity for You (for Christ is Write)
- I Love You, Jesus (for The Passionate Pursuit)
- Women of the Bible: Deborah (Judges 4-5) (for My Life. His Story.)
- Don't Give Up on Your Dreams (For Gallagher's Pen)
- Wear Your Jersey: 12 Practical Ways to Show God's Love This Summer (For Ginger's Corner)
- Dear Soul (For Lace Devotion)
- My Word for 2017: Strength (For Living Holy--Where Faith and Life Intersect with Denise Roberts)
- A Rock that Never Fails (For Letters of Love: The Lauren Crews Blog)
- Have You Found the Right Soul Buffer? (For Gallagher's Pen)
Tips & Encouragement for the Writer
Monthly Contributions to The Write Conversation:
- Blogging for the Bible Study Writer
- Writing a Devotion that Sings
- Writing from the Inside Out
- Define Your Audience--Who Are You Writing To?
- For Non-Fiction Authors: Tips for Choosing the Right Story
- 5 Reasons Why Writers Must Overcome the Pain of Deletion
- How to Write from an Outline and NOT Hate It
- 7 Ways to Re-Ignite Your Writing Inspiration
- 7 Golden Keys to Writing Bible Studies
- 8 Tips to Make Scripture Come Alive in Your Writing
- How to Make Your Writing Conversational
- Defeating a Writer's Self-Doubt
- The Spiritual Battle of Writing
- The Top 10 Elements of Writing an Effective Bible Study
- 10 Tools for the Bible Study Writer--Hunting for Treasure
- 5 Singing Lessons for the Writer
- When a Writer's Platform Numbers are Low
- 20 Reasons to be Thankful We Are Writers
- How the Writer Fits into the Christmas Story
- Tips to Map Out Your Blogging Calendar
- Seven Giants All Writers Must Slay
- 10 Spiritual Resources for the Christian Writer
- Friends Don't Let Friends Blog Alone
- 7 Things to Remember When You Host a Guest on Your Blog
- 5 Questions to Keep Your Writing on Track
- 5 Questions to Refresh Your Writing Purpose
- When You Doubt Your Calling as a Writer
- Enhance the Wonderful in Your Writing
Other Writing-Related Posts:
- Getting Over First Draft Jitters (for Christ is Write)
- Finding Your Tribe (for the Florida Christian Writers Conference blog)
- Writers! Don't Go Back to Normal (for the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference blog)
- Blogging for the Bible Study Writer (for the FCWC blog)
These topics taken from 2 Timothy: Winning the Victory are divided into three categories, and can be spoken at a women’s ministry event or to launch a study of the book.
Shrink Your Monsters: How to Say No to Fear
Fear is a monster that threatens to rule our lives. The more we say yes to it, the bigger it becomes until it controls everything, including how we see ourselves, how we relate to God, and our ambitions in life. But God doesn’t want a spirit of fear to rule us (2 Timothy 1:7). When we arm ourselves with the right spirit that God gives us, we will have the power to overcome weakness, the love to overcome apathy, and a sound mind to overcome doubts and anxieties.
Genuine Faith: What It Is, What It Does, and How to Have It
Ambushes and surprises test our faith. Trials tempt us to give up. But genuine faith continues on God’s course instead of quitting. What is “genuine faith,” and how can we grow in it? In this session, Katy paints a picture of genuine faith, using Paul and Timothy’s examples and the stories of real-life heroes found in Hebrews 11’s great hall of faith.
Keep Going: Don’t Let Suffering Stop You
Has something ever had the potential of weighing you down in the spiritual race? Of keeping you from winning the victory in the good fight? 2 Timothy Chapter 1 gives us nine resources to help us to keep going when suffering could stop us. Personal struggles, spiritual warfare, and opposition to the gospel don’t have to keep us from doing what God has called us to do. God backs up His soldiers in the trenches. He enables His relay team to hold high the torch of the gospel and make a difference in the world around us. Don’t quit!
Speak Up: How to Overcome the Fear of Witnessing
For most believers, the number one hindrance to witnessing is fear. We worry about what we will say, and we wonder if people will reject us. Sharing her own struggles with fear and how God helped her to witness in spite of them, Katy offers encouragement and four practical ways to overcome the fear of witnessing.
Heralds of the Savior: It’s Not Just for Angels
Angels heralded the birth of the Savior, John the Baptist heralded the coming of the Savior, and we herald the gospel of the Savior. This Christmas and throughout the year, let us raise our voices to herald the God who gave us the most precious Gift. The love and goodness of God is a message for all His messengers to share.
Other speaking topics, besides those from 2 Timothy: Winning the Victory, include:
Tell Me Why: Twelve Reasons to Follow Jesus
(For believers of all maturity levels and those seeking to know more about God)
True Beauty: What a Godly Heart Looks Like
(For college-aged women and teen girls)
If you are interested in Katy coming to speak at your church event, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.