through His Word
Birthdays always sparkle to me. It helps if the sun is shining and blue skies greet you when you wake up. But regardless of the weather, a birthday sparkles because it means you made it to another year, God created you for a special purpose, and you get to eat cake and ice cream.
I turn 32 today. 32! I still look 22 (so I’ve been told). But although you might not know I have ten extra years to me, the past ten years since college graduation have been incredible. I’ve learned so much. There were some hard lessons to learn. But I can tell I’ve grown up some. Trivial stuff that bothered me before doesn’t bother me now. I’m not as worried about what people think. I know hard work is better than a life without direction and passion. God has made some dreams come true, and He’s still working on them.
So here’s the top 10 lessons I’ve learned in the past 10 years:
10. It’s OK to go in your room and cry to let the frustration out, but then get up and keep going.
9. You can’t control what people think about you, so be yourself, give your best, and leave the rest to God.
8. Ain’t nothin’ easy—the good stuff takes hard work.
7. Unless it’s a door God has closed, obstacles are a part of life, so face them with calmness, and figure out how to climb over.
6. Lasting friendships take time, thoughtfulness, and depth, and give life so much sparkle.
5. God is the best counselor.
4. The faith that’s tested by fire, fueled by love, and sustained by grace is golden and lasting.
3. God will pair with each trial, the truth you need to overcome.
2. You fight for what you love.
1. If you are God’s child, He will never leave you no matter what, and He is always faithful to forgive, heal, and restore.
What has God taught you in the past 10 years? Pick one lesson (or two), and leave a comment below. Another thing I’ve learned is that community is essential. I want to see what God has taught you.
© Copyright 2014 by Katy Kauffman
lessons learned, A Birthday Post: The Top 10 Things I’ve Learned in 10 Years, Katy Kauffman, Lighthouse Bible Studies