through His Word
by Katy Kauffman
What do you dream of? For your family, yourself, this country?
What do you hope will happen in the next year? I have some secret dreams. When I pray about something I’m hoping for, I ask God to provide it and then I picture Him sticking it in His pocket. (Does God have pockets? Surely so.) I know He will provide what I’ve asked for if it’s His will, but I also know it will be in His way and timing.
Trusting God’s method and timing can be hard when we’ve waited a long time or when a lot hinges on receiving the answer. But why would we doubt what the God of the universe—who loves us perfectly and has all power and wisdom—can do?
Since Jesus has said, “If you ask anything in My name, I will do it” (John 14:14 NKJV), then why should we expect anything less? Of course, it’s the “asking in His name” part that we have to be careful about. That we want what He wants. That we believe He will take care of us even if we don’t get the answer we’re hoping for. That part of the Christian life can be difficult, but I know God’s children can count on this. Since God loves us so much, we can trust His heart, His methods, and His timing. Every time. No matter what. Because He is good and He does good. He gives us grace to handle life’s challenges, healing to overcome pain, and good that outshines heartache. If we look to Him for it.
Our topic for this week is hope. An earnest expectation of good. A desire we believe will be fulfilled. A dream we believe will come true. What dreams are you trusting God to fulfill? Do you need an extra boost to keep trusting Him today? Consider these verses about hope, and write one on an index card or use paint pens to draw on a canvas as seen in our first post. Put the verse where you can see it regularly. Which verse would help you to live in earnest expectation?
9 verses on hope:
- “Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the LORD.” Psalm 31:24 NKJV*
- “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.” Psalm 42:5
- “But I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more.” Psalm 71:14
- “You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word.” Psalm 119:114
- “‘For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,’ says the LORD, ‘thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.’” Jeremiah 29:11
- “Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” Romans 5:5
- “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
- “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” Colossians 1:27
- “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” Hebrews 10:23
If you can’t get enough of hope like me, look up these verses (there were just so many to love): Jeremiah 17:7; Lamentations 3:24, 26; Zechariah 9:12; Romans 15:4; Hebrews 6:19; 1 Peter 3:15.
I think my favorite one in the bullet points is Romans 15:13. When we trust God for something, He fills us with joy and peace. Doesn’t that make waiting a whole lot easier? God’s faithfulness is our guarantee that He will provide what’s best.
What verses bring you hope? Do you have a testimony that God made hope a reality? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below! Remember God’s faithfulness in the past, and stay hope-full.
© Copyright 2016 by Katy Kauffmanhope, dreams, Door Post Verses: Hope, Katy Kauffman, Lighthouse Bible Studies