through His Word
by Katy Kauffman
What do you love about the book of Psalms? The heartfelt cries of David and others, the promises of comfort, or the chronicle of how God faithfully helped those who were in distress? What I love the most about Psalms is what I learned about God. I “saw” that He was both loving and formidable, that He cares when one of His own suffers, and that He has the power to crush every enemy that comes against us.
Understanding the character and nature of God gives us strength. We know what we can count on Him to be and to do. We understand that He has great power and He is willing to use it on our behalf. When the book of Psalms—or any other book of the Bible—talks about God as our strength, we can be certain that we will have a strength that does not falter and an endurance that does not waver. The strength of God is our lifeline to handle our daily battles and to accomplish God’s will for our lives.
Do you need some renewed strength today? Read the verses about strength from Psalms below, and pick which one you would want to hang on the door posts of your house. Which one would you want to keep before you all the time to give you strength?
- “It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect.” Psalm 18:32 NKJV*
- “For You have armed me with strength for the battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.” Psalm 18:39
- “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
- “My soul melts from heaviness; strengthen me according to Your word.” Psalm 119:28
- “In the day when I cried out, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul.” Psalm 138:3
- "The LORD will give strength to His people; the LORD will bless His people with peace.” Psalm 29:11
- “Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the LORD.” Psalm 31:24
If God arms us with strength, we can have victory in the challenges that lie before us. If God is our strength, we don’t have reason to fear. His Word gives us power to overcome “heaviness” and endure trials. When we cry out to Him, God makes us bold with strength in our souls. Strength and peace are inevitably linked. So when we depend on God for strength to handle life’s problems, His peace will follow. We can rest in the assurance that He will take care of us and help us. When we hope in the Lord, we receive His strength to be active in following Him while we wait for good things.
Which verse would you write on an index card and put where you can see it all the time? Tell me in the comments below, and share any verses you love about “strength.” May God make you bold with strength in your soul!
This is the second post in our new series, Door Post Verses. To see last week’s introduction (with 3 ideas for displaying Scripture verses in your home), click here.
*All verses are NKJV
Blog Post © Copyright 2016 by Katy Kauffmanstrength, endurance, Bible verses, Door Post Verses: Strength, Katy Kauffman, Lighthouse Bible Studies