through His Word
I have felt recently like I’m in limbo. Waiting has become a habit of life, but not one I usually get excited about. That’s changing.
When we wait on God, we get His blessings down the road, but more importantly, we get Him now. We seek Him harder than we would have otherwise. We understand better who He is and what’s He capable of doing. Maybe at first, we cling to Him because we think that’s our only option. But then we want to cling to Him and follow Him more than pursuing our own whims and selfish desires. Our dependence on Him grows, and we want what He can make out of our lives, not what we can do with it.
There are consequences when we don’t wait. A few years ago, I got impatient about waiting for something, and rebelled mentally. I wanted my way in my timing, and it cost me some sanity. However, I saw God work. The lessons He taught me are gems I’ll treasure forever. He was faithful in my unfaithfulness. I learned that waiting on God is a happy alternative to wanting to force something to happen on our own. Our wisdom and power are so finite compared to His. If we just knew all the good that He has in store for us, I believe we’d wait better. And happier.
Don’t Give Up
So take heart. What are you waiting on God for? He loves you perfectly so He wants to give you His very best, and He has perfect power so He can make it happen. Trust His timing. I’m trying to. We may not understand why a “delay” is occurring. But to God, it’s not a delay but part of the schedule. Use the “waiting time” well, and see the blessings that are waiting to find you if you will seek God while you wait.
So what are some of those hidden blessings? God’s been speaking to me about this all week. From every angle He has been telling me why waiting on Him is good. Sunday morning the pastor in my hometown preached on waiting on God. Tuesday my friend Erin wrote about being in a state of limbo. I found the blog of an American lady who lives in Chile, and she wrote about waiting!
So I’d like to gather in one spot the encouragement I have found this week, and add a little to it. If you can offer some encouragement about waiting on God, please bless the rest of us by leaving a comment below. My hope is that we welcome the waiting, because we know the process now and the outcome later are worth the wait.
The Blessings Scripture Says that Come with Waiting on God
Psalm 24:17 is the Victory Verse I posted on my Facebook author page this week. It and all the verses below show what happens when we wait on God: He strengthens us, He is our help and shield, we will have joy, we will run and not grow weary, and we will walk and not faint.
- “Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!” Psalm 27:14, NKJV
- “Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name.” Psalm 33:20-21, NKJV
- “But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31, NKJV
What can we count on if we wait on God?
- God is working – See Erin Austin’s post called Limbo!, about how God works in the transitions of life.
- There’s a good purpose for the waiting – Read my post, Today’s Season, from earlier this month about the seasons of life and Who is with us in each season.
- We will see Jesus in a new way – Check out On Taking His Time written by Tina Bustamante in Chile. Jesus delayed in healing Lazarus so He could show the people something about Himself and draw them to God.
- God will work to rescue us, help us, and teach us (Psalm 40:1-5) – Listen to the powerful sermon below called “Good Things Come to Those who Wait.” In this message by Steve Gaines, pastor of my hometown church, Bellevue Baptist Church, he lifts the curtain to show us how God is working behind the scenes while we wait on Him. It’s 38 minutes of wow, filled with wisdom, encouragement, wit, humor, and comfort. I needed to hear it this week, and if you listen, I hope it’s timely for you!
Our Part in the Waiting
One more thing. This post wouldn’t be complete without this song. John Waller wrote it because it took him 17 years of waiting on God to realize his dream of singing Christian music. This song helps us to know what to do while we’re waiting.
waiting on God, patience, Waiting on God: Seeing the Hidden Blessings, Limbo!, Today’s Season, Katy Kauffman, Lighthouse Bible Studies
© Copyright 2014 by Katy Kauffman